Why should children have fluoride varnish?
- Fluoride varnish reduces tooth decay in children and adults
- It helps to repair teeth which have started to decay and will stop decay starting in other teeth
- The varnish should be applied at least twice a year
- Applying the varnish is a very simple procedure, it takes just a few minutes and doesn’t hurt at all
- Some people think the varnish tastes a little bit like bananas
- A yellow tint is left on teeth for a few days
- To control decay you will still need to keep foods and drinks that contain sugar for mealtimes only and brush twice daily with a family fluoride toothpaste
What should patients do if they are to have flouride varnish?
- Anyone who has been in hospital because of asthma should not have fluoride varnish
- Anyone who has an allergy to colophony should not have fluoride varnish
- Patients should eat and drink as normal before the appointment
- The application is very quick and simple
- The varnish is coloured and will leave a tint on teeth for a day or so
- After the application patients should not eat, drink, brush their teeth or rinse for 30 minutes
- Patients should not eat hard foods for 4 hours after application