NHS Fees

(Source: Department of Health NHS Dental Services in England 2013 Leaflet)

Free NHS dental treatment or help with health costs

You do not have to pay for NHS dental treatment if, when the treatment starts, you are:

  1. aged under 18
  2. under 19 and receiving full-time education
  3. pregnant or a mother who has had a baby in the previous 12 months
  4. staying in an NHS hospital and your treatmentis carried out by the hospital dentist
  5. an NHS Hospital Dental Service outpatient (however, you may have to pay for your dentures or bridges).

You also do not have to pay if, when the treatment starts, or when you are asked to pay:

  1. you are included in an award of
  2. Income Support
  3. income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  4. income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  5. Pension Credit guarantee credit


  1. you are named on a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate, or you are entitled to an NHS tax credit exemption certificate
  2. you are named on a valid HC2 certificate

You will not be exempt from paying if you receive Incapacity Benefit, contribution-based Employment and Support Allowance, contribution-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Council Tax Benefit, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit savings credit, when paid on their own. Medical conditions do not exempt patients from payment for dental treatment.

You will be asked to show your dentist written proof that you do not have to pay for all or part of your NHS treatment. You will also be asked to sign a form to confirm that you do not have to pay. If your name is on a valid HC3 certificate you may not have to pay for all your treatment. Checks are made on free and reduced cost treatment claims. If you say you have the right to free treatment when you do not, you may incur a penalty charge.

What treatments should I expect to be provided under the NHS?

You will be able to have all treatment provided under the NHS that your dentist feels is clinically necessary in order to keep your mouth, teeth and gums healthy. If your dentists says that you need a particular type of treatment, you should not be asked to pay for it privately. If you are moving to live in another area of the country soon, you may want to wait until you arrive in the new area before starting treatment. If you are unable to complete a course of treatment that has already been started before you move, speak to your dentist.

The NHS England Area Team responsible for your new area will help you to find another NHS dentist if you are having difficulty.

NHS dental charges

The charge you pay depends on the treatment  you need to keep your mouth, teeth and gumshealthy. You will only ever be asked to pay onecharge for each complete course of treatment,even if you need to visit your dentist more thanonce to finish it – either Band 1, Band 2 or Band 3(see blue box).

If you are not exempt from charges, you should pay one of the following chargesfor each course of treatment you receive:

Band 1 course of treatment – £18.00

This covers an examination, diagnosis (eg X-rays),advice on how to prevent future problems, a scaleand polish if needed, and application of fluoridevarnish or fissure sealant. If you require urgentcare, even if your urgent treatment needs morethan one appointment to complete, you will onlyneed to pay one Band 1 charge.

Band 2 course of treatment – £49.00

This covers everything listed in Band 1 above, plus any further treatment such as fillings, rootcanal work or if your dentist needs to take outone or more of your teeth.

Band 3 course of treatment – £214.00

This covers everything listed in Bands 1 and 2above, plus crowns, dentures and bridges.

Leave a Reply